Saturday, June 02, 2012

In my arms is an angel

I met baby Nathaniel (not his real name) in an orphanage just recently when I joined charity project in Manila.

This is the first time I've joined an actual social work. I've donated and joined walks for other charity initiatives before (AIDS/HIV walk, MS Society, Initiative projects for Kids in Distress etc.) but this one recent visit to "Home for the Angels" is really special to my heart.

When I was in the US, my ex had 3 adopted kids whom I had a chance to bond with - David, the eldest was in his early college, while Joshua and Yullian are toddlers, aged 4 and 3, respectively. Though those kids are not blood related to my partner at that time, I saw the love, care and respect they've shared together. I too, became really close in that span of time that I've met them. Up until now, even when I am back here in Manila, I keep in touch with them.

The value of helping kids like them is a rare opportunity. Most of us do not realize that it is not them that we're helping but rather it's the other way around. Or maybe say that it's mutual benefit in the long run.

Baby Nathaniel is just one of the baby I've met at Home for the Angels. In that short time, I said to myself that I should really do this more often & maybe influence my other friends to do the same. In my lifestyle, it may be limiting and some would question am I capable? I would answer and say, what about you? Have you done something to lift a finger and help and become part of other people's lives who maybe needing your help no matter what your status or standing in life?

To those who maybe reading this short and sweet expression, who would be interested to volunteer at Home for the Angels you can contact me directly and I can provide more information to you.

Have a good one!

No comments: