Tuesday, February 17, 2004

A Lesson in Patience and Tolerance

My good friend, Mr. JR once told me,” What can I say? That it takes all kinds to make a world? That what people perpetuate in fancy and grandstanding speeches do not necessarily reflect who they are?



A little lesson in patience, my friend...and tolerance. If you feel your boss embodies a sickening duality, then that HIS problem. No act of pretense can last forever, you know. What is important is that you focus on what you truly want and channel your energies to the fulfillment of your ambitions…lofty or otherwise. We cannot simply surround ourselves with ONLY PEOPLE we choose to like. That is not the way of the world.”



Those beautiful words are not always slammed into your very face each day of your life right? But for me it was one of the many inspiring advices I’ve heard regarding patience.



For a while now, I’ve worked with an individual whom I discovered to be just like any others. Yet he claims he’s perfect and Godly. What a sin to heaven?!



I am in no liberty to discuss his name. He’s a big influential person. He has connections to the high official of this land. His personality to them was good, extraordinary and excellent. But of course, that’s how they knew him in social gatherings, events and functions.



I got the chance to work with him. In that span of time, I learned his other nature to be impatient, inconsiderate, overly perfectionists and will shout at you if you commit even a slight mistake. This guy is sick I thought to myself. I got so disappointed because that was really different from how I first knew him. After weeks of being with him, he started to act strangely and I know something is wrong. I never imagined that his strange character will be cast upon me.



I adored him for a time yet it all changed at one snap. I tried to reason it to myself maybe he’s just pressured. So I continued with my work and duties, setting aside the emotional turmoil that I was already feeling that time. He has not change from the time he has shown me his other side. At first, I did not want to be affected with his attitude. I tried to be more objective about it to the point I felt am justifying his inconsistent behavior, sacrificing my own beliefs on fair and equality among beings.



I grew quite tired as days went by and my stress hormone was in saturation all over my body. So I knew I have to go. I tried to talk with him, but I did not get a very positive response. He did not want me to go, because according to him we have a verbal agreement and that my word of honor is at stake.



I told him that is why I want to talk with him so we can meet in the middle? Isn’t that right? But he did not allow it.



I then have to formalize my goodbye by giving him a letter which when I handed he readily set aside and pretend nothing happened. Yet I know when I left him, he has read it. Why? It is because during that day that I gave him the letter, he has directly tried to accuse me of work inconsistencies which did not happen in my first few days with him. I knew he was trying to make me angry or speak back at him which I did not. I wrote again a letter explaining my side and already stating my last will about my works with him. That was it, the last word I said to him was “God bless.”



Later on, I learned that prior to me he had employed other staffs that did not stay long like me. So I guess there must something wrong with him. He is not even in good terms with his relatives as I know.



Behind all his honors that will fade with time, is a man not perfect. It is very disappointing to note that such grandstanding image emanates a blur aura of emotional hurts or setbacks. That is being inflicted on innocent people surrounding him.



A little patience and tolerance like my friend Mr. JR told me. And I’d say compassion as well. On that note, I was thinking if I have learned patience and tolerance or did I lose it and have succumbed. What about my self-respect, confidence that is slowly bursting away because of the harsh spoken words thrown just to disgrace me, the million “other Filipinos” he is pertaining to, the type of school where I came from?



I learned that patience and tolerance is earned and incurred in that experience of mine. Although I have spoken back at him at times, I know I was just stating a fact. A man is tamed only if he allows it to happen.



What most big time people do not realize is that God molded us in different patterns. They cannot change the world but we change can start with themselves in time. God did not dictate to His people to change overtime which powerful people on this planet acting like God wants to do to the average being. While it is true that many people choose to live a low life, it is not a good barometer of their totality that they are lesser, unfortunate or animal likes. This is also true to those people that live and have achieved high but are not exactly the type of high class individual they try to convey with others around them. It will take a great amount of understanding to love each others individuality. I have read before in a book of highly effective living that each must try to understand each other that is, exert tolerance so to speak. It will help in your excursion on this Earth.



Patience is a virtue. I have heard it over so many times. It is so inspiring in a way. But while it is true, do you believe that in all occasion patience and tolerance is always the winning gun? The question of, Does every golden rule applies in every situation of life? I dare say, “Not in all.”



I have been finding ways to practice patience or serenity. And so it will take my self more practice to achieve it largely. This will hold true to others as well, big time or average being.



Patience is practice and needed when we deal with people. It is necessary when we talk to someone who is lesser of knowledge, which is simple understanding.



Patience is a must have when we feel that nothing can be achieved if we will just try to outwit each other’s guts or intelligence, which is simple generosity in giving credit to whom it is due. This is what outwitting politicians need.



Patience is required to a leader. No ounce of achievement can be boasted to others if you cannot even exude an excellent amount of patience to anyone. Patience is one type of honor that will not die with time.



Patience is a practice that all individuals must realize, like me. It is not necessary if we have stumbled down. It is vital though that we learned to actualize tolerance, patience, or serenity in each of our steps.



I am not preaching this thing out loud if I have not learned this thing the hard way in my experience. I am not perfect. But experience is the best teacher so I would like to share it all with you.



Life is a continuous journey. It will take a lot of patience not just for you but also to him, to her, to me, to my friends, to my love ones, to my enemies to attain each of our goals. Some of us have been patient and tolerant to have won and achieve while others have taken steps to actualize it and have slightly gain honor from it. On the contrary, there are others that learned it the hard way. By learning it, they have to go down and must take the longer course or lesson.



This is not just a little lesson in patience and tolerance. This is an essential itinerary in life. We must remember it.

No comments: