Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The Real Life (and being political) - Us living with HIV, like it or not

Browsing the internet and looking for different topics and information available in the cyberspace had been one of my favorite pasttime while onshore.

While browsing through the website called positivism.ph, I recently came across this video clip about Shola De Luna, a Filipino icon of late 80s and early 90s. She got diagnosed with HIV in 1994. Her inspiring video was shot to provide a venue for everyone to learn about HIV/AIDS. I thought it was brilliant in a way that she went out of her way to educate people by sharing her real life experience. She recalled her life, her ways, her living with HIV and continuously achieving her dreams and how she now inspire others to live and never lose hope. This is not your typical "Maalaala Mo Kaya" episode.

This definitely makes my list of "Maiba naman, 'ika nga!" - many of us are unaware of this disease so I thought it's one good way to make my site a channel for my multitude of Multipliers to learn and be informed about this human condition. Having HIV can make or break you and continuing to be uninformed will definitely break you. That's one inconvenient truth.

I am probably being "political" here all of a sudden. This is something to be "iba", be informed, be educated and something to stood up for. The fact is, we are living with HIV, like it or not. How do we deal with it? I guess, we just need to kill the negative behavior towards this disease and help raise awareness to stop the bad stigma.

Learn more and watch the video at: http://positivism.ph/

No comments: